Thursday, June 20, 2013

This was one year ago

Saturday is one year from Esther's official diagnosis. We had been actively investigating the bump on her head for a couple of weeks, hoping for something benign, but by this time we were pretty sure it was cancer. Knowing Esther was either going to have a huge chunk of her skull removed or that she had cancer, and also knowing that memories are fickle, we wanted to have some photos taken.  Honestly, I didn't know what the future held, and I didn't want to forget the details of my sweet little girl.  Our sweet friends, Chad and Charity, dropped everything and did a fantastic job capturing our family.  These photos have been a treasure to me, thank you friends.








Overall, Esther is doing well.  We should hear soon the results of bloodwork that tests the functionality of her immune system.  Although her bone marrow has been producing the various types of blood cells, it takes time for them to be functional following high dose chemo and stem cell transplant.  So, at 180 days (about 6 months) post transplant, they test the cells to see how many there actually are and how they will respond to infection.  One area I need to ask about is her red blood cell count.  It is low and hasn't really rebounded following her transplant and radiation.  Normal is 12.  Esther has been somewhere between 8 and 9.  They do blood transfusions at 7, so this is low.  She is tired and frequently will ask for a nap or sometimes just lay on the floor and watch what is going on around her.  Her last inpatient antibody therapy was scheduled for the second week of July, but we were able to push it back a week so I can attend training for our homeschool program, Classical Conversations.  I'm praying this extra week will give her a boost to gain some strength.

Sleepy girl in her movie star sunglasses.


6 comments:

  1. Praise to God for how well she's responded to her treatment. We continue to pray for her complete healing daily - may that be the Lord's will for her. Thank you for sharing your precious photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam & Anthony, your vulnerability in sharing your pain and your faith have been a powerful testimony. Thank you for being willing to share. My parents who have never met you and live in Washington have been fervently praying for and checking up on Esther via your blog. It has been a challenge to my faith as a mom-could I have faith such as this in the face of such challenges. Your little family is a treasure and a blessing. May God bless you with precious moments of normalcy and His presence even in the mundane. Love from the Reynolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was our pleasure. Helps to have such photogenic subjects ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The journey of faith God has taken you on has been incredible. Thank you for sharing your joys and tears with us. Though many of us cried with you, I think an honest insight into the way faith plays out in a challenge such as cancer is something we can all learn from.

    Esther seems to be doing well and I am glad she is recovering well! You all are always in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will continue praying for Esther and your family. I have gotten to know of her through your blog and Boden's family. May God continue to bless each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SOOO happy to see Esther getting better every day! Sam, your strength and resilience is so inspiring in so many ways. You and Anthony are amazing! Every day I keep you all in my heart, thoughts and prayers! I'm sending love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete