Tuesday, July 10, 2012

His Yes Is Yes

Esther's brunch, she was super excited to pour her OWN syrup.
 

Since Esther was sleeping all morning I was able to spend some time reading and praying. This morning I read Acts 27. Paul was journeying to his trial on a prisoner ship with other prisoners and soldiers. The ship encountered treacherous weather and the ship along with it's passengers were in danger. They had to throw most everything overboard.

An angel of God told Paul that he would stand before Caesar for his trial and that the ship would be lost, but not one person aboard the ship would be harmed in the journey. Paul knew they would reach their destination.

He told the prisoners and soldiers, 276 people, "Today is the fourteenth day that you have continued in suspense without food, having taken nothing. Therefore I urge you to take some food. It will give you strength, for not a hair is to perish from the head of any of you." (Acts 27:33-34)

Paul thanked God and the men ate and were encouraged. "And when they had eaten enough, they lightened the ship, throwing out the wheat into the sea." (vs 38)

Here were nearly 300 hungry men with a very uncertain future. Some of these men may have known God, but many did not know this God that Paul was speaking of. But they all trusted...enough to not strive and try to keep the little food they had. They ate, were encouraged and tossed it all overboard. The ship did wreck but every passenger made it safely to dry land.

God's yes is yes. These men trusted the one true God and He brought them to dry land in the midst of extreme circumstances. God is good, He will bring us to dry land in the midst of any circumstance. There is hope at the end of all of this. One of my other favorite passages is Habbakuk 3:17-19:

Though the fig tree should not blossom,

nor fruit be on the vines,

the produce of the olive fail

and the fields yield no food,

the flock be cut off from the fold

and there be no herd in the stalls,

yet I will rejoice in the Lord;

I will take joy in the God of my salvation.

God, the Lord, is my strength;

he makes my feet like the deer's;

he makes me tread on my high places.


Esther slept until 11 am. One of her doctors came in on her day off today just to check on Esther and commented it was so teenagerish of her. She was cheerful and just needed a really good sleep. She had great nurses today. She has been drinking so well she was able to be off her IV fluids most of the day so we were able to take a walk outside. It was GREAT to get outside. We also got to eat dinner with our friends Jodi & Aly. Isn't Aly cute?! She was admitted today for a fever as well and they think she may have an intestinal infection. She already suffered through it a couple weeks ago. Please pray for quick healing and that Aly would not have c diff again.

There is an infection going around the hospital. Please pray Esther does not get it. For now there are signs on all the oncology patients' doors telling all staff to wear gloves to enter the room, take them off, and then re-glove before doing anything and the playroom on the oncology floor is closed indefinitely. I'm thankful for all of the precaution, but it's sort of intimidating. I find myself wanting to strive, to clean the room so Esther doesn't get anything. Instead, I'm striving to rejoice. It is an uncertain tomorrow. The ship might wreck, there are no figs on the trees, and no food in the field, yet I can still rejoice because God's yes IS always yes. He IS the God of our salvation, He IS our strength and He is the only one who gives sure footing in the high and treacherous places we will walk.

 

7 comments:

  1. Sam
    I just read Habbakuk this evening... It is amazing how God shows his love and kindness in everything even when you feel like everything has been taken away. We continue to pray for Esther and all of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam
    We have been reading your posts daily and continue to lift little Esther up to the Lord each day also. I have to tell you that the posts that you and Anthony have been sharing are like daily devotions for me, it is truly a blessing to Bruce and I to watch and read how you are clinging to Jesus and how His Grace is sufficient for you, as you trust Him- one day at a time. That is an encouragement to all of us. May God be with you and Esther in a powerful way in the days to come. Love from Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi-
    I learned about your family and your blog through my friends Jenn Schmidt and Shelley Deakins. I just wanted to thank you for your strength and the encouragement that your posts have been for me lately. Though it's not even comparable to one of my children being sick, my mom was just recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that has unfortunately already spread. Of course it is the non-smoker, rare type, so you question the fairness in all of that as well. She was fine two weeks ago, went in to the doctor with a backache that ended up being a tumor on her spine. They then found the spot on her lung. So, needless to say, life changed for us in an instant. In the same week, my husband also lost his job. As I sit here and question all of this and why me and why all of this right now, I have been encouraged and strengthened thru your posts, verses, etc. I just wanted to say thank you and to let you know that I am praying for you and thinking about your little girl all of the time. Even though I don't know you, I am so touched by you. So thank you. Prayers and thoughts, Alison Tompkins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! May your soul continue to strive to rejoice in Him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam, praise God for giving you the strength and encouragement that only He can. Every time I read your blog I am convicted and amazed at your great attitude and how you can dig into the word and have been giving me encouragement in my life. It is like dong my devotions reading thru your blog. Continuing to remember you in prayer everyday. We are in Wichita for residency and Mandy brown is here with LT for the summer. She was over this morning and we were talking about you and little ester. You are being prayed for all throughout the country and we will not stop. I have never gone through anything this difficult by far but a verse I have clung to in past trials is 2 Corinthians 1:8-9 "We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endur, so that we despaired even to death. But this happened that we would not rely on ourselves, but on God, who raises the dead." we have a God who did the ultimate miracle of raising Christ from the dead and he can and will do a miracle your life. Love in Christ,
    Sarah Schwindt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like God gave you a great story to encourage you!! Esther looks beautiful -- smiles are great to have in the hospital! :) I'm glad you guys are being loved on by the staff there! Praying for you and Aly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sam,

    Thanks again for the updates! I also like reading from Acts and the book of Habbakuk! Your faith is really encouraging! I'm glad they are taking precautions to help prevent infections on the unit. Esther looks good in her picture! I have been praying for you every day and praying you will continue to stay strong in the Lord!

    Katie

    Sam,

    Though I have never met Esther or your family, I feel that I have gotten to know you through the reports that Katie reads me each night. I pray deeply for you every day and wish the very best for Esther.

    Katie's Mom

    ReplyDelete