Friday, July 27, 2012

Sunflowers

On the morning drive we pass a field of sunflowers. The rising sun and eager faces of the yellow blooms make me smile. I look forward to reaching the end of 470 where we exit onto Pena, not so much because we're only a few miles away from the hospital but because of this cheerful field of sunshine.

 

Today our soundtrack for the drive was our friend, Katrina's lovely melodies. As I stopped to take this photo, her song, "Swim" started to play.

The chorus says, "I can't see a sunrise in the middle of a hurricane. And I can't hear the symphony amidst the thunder and the rain. Yeah, life don't get no easier if I pout and I complain. So I'm jumpin' in I'm ready to swim."

I'm thankful that God speaks louder than hurricanes, thunder and rain and His voice this week has been a field of sunflowers. Right now in a time of no control, our attitude is just about all we can control. It won't be easier if I pout or complain, worry or fret.

Thinking about these sunflowers, I was reminded of Luke 12: 24-31. "Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! 25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 26 If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 28 But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29 And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. 30 For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you."

The weight of the "need" is different. In this passage, it's more about material things, food & clothes. But the principle is the still the same. I love where it says "your Father knows that you need them." He knows our needs. Whether or not I needed that cheerful field of flowers to help me remember He is still there, I can't say. But it was a tender mercy on our morning drives, and this passage is an enouragement that the Father knows my needs.

Yesterday was a fun day with Lydia. We princess-uped our infusion room with tons of glitter from princess coloring pages. I was impressed not to find glitter this morning in the room. Lydia's suprise was a Calico Critters lamb family and her imagination was fun for Esther. The mouse and lamb families went swimming, swung on a tree swing, and picked flowers in a field. So sweet. Zinnia also got an elephant family and all four girls were delighted to play mouse, bunny, lamb, and elephant families last night.

 

Our nurse was awesome and FAST today. We were done in 5 hours flat. Tomorrow begins the medication to prepare for stem cell harvest. Esther will have a daily dose of a growth factor that will cause her body to create lots of stem cells and release them into her bloodstream. We have to give this through a shot, but tomorrow at our short visit at the hospital they will place a small cathedar (sounds scary, but it's pretty minor) into her leg and then there will be no pokes for her shots. She'll be monitored pretty closely because they need to catch the number of stem cells at thier peak level to get as many stem cells as possible. This will hopefully happen in about 10 days or so.

Esther is tired today and the effects of the week of chemo have increased her nausea. She took a long nap today (actually is still sleeping), so I hope this helps her feel better this weekend. We were the first patient in the infusion center, so she got her pick of the toys in the toy room. I like to be there early...I know they are clean! It was fun for her to pedal this big, heavy car around the clinic.

My attitude is important, "life won't get no easier if I pout and complain." God is kind. He knows our needs and this week He gave us safe drives, beautiful sunflowers to brighten our mornings, and a reminder that He knows.

2 comments:

  1. Love your heart to know Him and draw close to Him in this. There is truly no end to His love and reserves to meet our needs and His coming to us is as sure as the dawn.
    “So let us know, let us press on to know the Lord. His going forth is as certain as the dawn; And He will come to us like the rain, Like the spring rain watering the earth.” Hosea 6:3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Continuing to hold all of you up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete